[nos-bbs] JNOS File Areas

Angela - M1SCH / PE1BIV nos-bbs_mail at pe1biv.net
Sat Nov 17 13:24:58 EST 2012

Hi Ray and all,

> I have been contacted by an ARES coordinator in a neighboring county
> regarding the transfer of files using packet and BBSes. He had questions
> regarding JNOS and "file areas".
>
> What is the maximum file size when uploading or downloading?

If via radio, it depends on the modems used.
If using 1k2 it might take quite a long time, while using 9k6 of higher
bandwith transferring a bigger file might very well take an acceptable time.
It also depends on how busy the frequency is.

> Is FTP the only protocol available?

Depending on the OS used, and the compilation of JNOS, you can have DU and
Yapp. Maybe more.
I haven'y looked at it for a long time. I'm still running a very old JNOS
1.11f compilation on top of DR-DOS..
Definitely protocols like SMTP, POP, NNTP and HTTP.

> Can FTP be used via RF? If so, how?

Well, as long as you have a TNC in KISS, or an SCCcard in the system with
separate modems, that is what JNOS is all about.
Obviously FTP needs to be in the compilation, and the service should be
started.
BTW, if you are running on Linux, you would be using the native Linux
services.
Both sides simply need to TCP/IP compatible systems.

> Can non-text files be transferred using TCP/IP via RF from one JNOS to
> another? How?

Yes, its a file.
You can do anything you can do on the Internet, as long as you have enough
bandwith on your radio port(s).

It's not been used for quite a few years, as I'm no longer a member of the
local radio club, but there was a time where we did transfer files of up to
some 60MB as attachment with an e-mail from out of Outlook Distress with OE
chopping the messages in chunks, which I think however is only available in
Outlook Distress.
This next to using FTP.
My Windooze systems talk straight away to the JNOS system, and if the
routing is properly set will simply work with the JNOS system as gateway.

Rgs, 73, Angela