[nos-bbs] Trouble connecting to BBS with telnet

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Fri Nov 2 13:16:52 EDT 2012

O.K.  I discovered *part* of my problem with the telnet forwarding entry.  I put a space before the connection commands, as it appears in the manual.  I didn't really understand the note in the manual about "full stop".  I still don't but I'm guessing it has something to do with a "." in the first column.  Anyway, I removed the space and now JNOS is fully connecting to the remote system.

But it stops there.   It doesn't forward.  Here's my forward.bbs entry:

n0ary
tcp 11.22.33.44 12345
+N0ARY
* 5
.bbs n6mef
+N0ARY
* 5
n0ary
wb6yru
------------

There is a message in the wb6yru mailbox.

Behavior observed with wireshark:  JNOS connects, receives the first prompt, sends "bbs n6mef", receives the next two prompts, and then ... nothing.  It just sits there.

Here's what a manual session looks like:

$ telnet 11.22.33.44 12345 Trying 11.22.33.44...
Connected to 11.22.33.44.
Escape character is '^]'.
[tcpd-N0ARY-4.1.1]
bbs n6mef
[ARY-4.1.1-H$]

1) N0ARY [0]>
bye
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

If I don't kill the session with "tcp reset <sessionID>" then JNOS crashes with exit code 1.  (running latest JNOS:  2.0j.2)

Any ideas?

Michael
N6MEF