[nos-bbs] Trouble connecting to BBS with telnet

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Thu Nov 1 13:19:33 EDT 2012

I'm having trouble connecting to a BBS using Telnet.  Basically, the connection hangs.  I have to reset the session with "tcp reset <session#>".  If allowed to continue to hang, JNOS exists with error code 1.

The following information is below.

-- the instructions I was given
-- a manual connect from linux and jnos
-- the JNOS forwarding file entry
-- a description of the sequence from wireshark

I'm new to this so I'm probably doing something dumb.  Please help.
(My BBS is n6mef.  Remote is N0ARY.  The IP address and port number of N0ARY have been changed to protect the innocent)

Instructions
telnet to 11.22.33.44 port 12345
at the prompt, enter:   bbs n6mef

Manual session:
$ telnet 11.22.33.44 12345 Trying 11.22.33.44...
Connected to 11.22.33.44.
Escape character is '^]'.
[tcpd-N0ARY-4.1.1]
bbs n6mef
[ARY-4.1.1-H$]

1) N0ARY [0]>
bye
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

Note:  It works equally well from the jnos> console prompt:

jnos> telnet 11.22.33.44 12345
Resolving 11.22.33.44... Trying 11.22.33.44:12345...
Telnet session 1 connected to 11.22.33.44
[tcpd-N0ARY-4.1.1]
bbs n6mef
[ARY-4.1.1-H$]

1) N0ARY [0]>
bye
Telnet session 1 closed: Reset/Refused
Hit enter to continue
<EnterKey>
Jnos>

My forwarding file entry:
---------------------------------
n0ary
tcp 11.22.33.44 12345
 +N0ARY
 * 10
 .bbs n6mef
 +N0ARY
 * 10
n0ary
------------

Wireshark packet trace summary
Running tcpdump/wireshark, I see:
JNOS sends SYN
Remote responds SYN ACK
JNOS sends ACK
Remote sends [tcpd-N0ARY-4.1.1] followed by hex 0D (carriage return)
JNOS sends back just an ACK - no data
Remote sends hex 0A (line feed)
JNOS sends just an ACK - no data
All of this happens within about a second.  At that point, the session just hangs - no more packets

Can anyone see what's wrong?

Michael
N6MEF