[nos-bbs] JNOS in Linux terminal

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 21:31:23 EDT 2012

I don't have time for details but I can throw out some thoughts while
the tests are running here...

> In my autoexec.nos file I have the line: ax25 retries 3. My
> understanding is that when trying to connect or otherwise pass
> traffic, JNOS will retry as many times as set by that line. However
> when I try to connect and fail to hear a reply, JNOS continues to
> transmit beyond the set number of retries.

I'm not sure if the Connect Request follows the same counter as the
per connected packet transmission but I think so.   Is your "ax25
retries 3" line AFTER the Attach statement?   The ax25 sets the value
which is then picked up when each new interface is created.   Use the
"iface" command with the name of your packet interface and it should
show what the retry start value is.

3 is a low value for connected level retries in our ax25 packet world.
 6 or 10 wouldn't hurt.  (Yes - we deal with bad RF paths.)

> Similarly related, while JNOS is stuck trying to connect I have no way
> to stop it other than killing the window, which in turn kills JNOS.

Once you have the connect request window open, use F10 to go back to
the command Session.  Once there use the "sessions" (abrv se) command
to see the open sessions.  I think it's "session reset X" to kill the
connect request session.

Boy I'm getting rusty with this.

> The one situation where this is more of a problem than an inconvience
> is if there were many transmitted packets while I was trying to
> connect I am unable to see if they were decoded.

Set your digipeat path and see if your packets will be decoded and
repeated by local packet stations..   Maybe you're trying to connect
to a station that has no connect server?

> Any insight?

HTH

Bill - WA7NWP