[nos-bbs] Problem attaching tun device

Michael Curry dgspotman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:19:41 EST 2012

Thanks, Maiko, for the minimal autoexec.nos. It did help me get things
working, but not in the way anyone might have expected.

I do a fair bit of programming in Python, whose comment character is also
'#', and which does allow a comments to be placed to the right of any piece
of executable code, so it never occurred to me that such a comment in the
autoxec.nos file would cause a problem -- until an hour and a half into
trying to to get my "identical" autoexec.nos to work the same as yours!

After I'd stripped everything out of my autoexec.nos file but the lines
that appeared in yours, and was *still* getting "Connection refused", I
finally noticed that I had a trailing comment after the "start telnet"
command:

start telnet     # allows local "bbs" command to work

(I guess I never questioned why the local "bbs" command never worked for me.
 :-)

So, no faulting the autoexec.nos file format specification, but it *is*
disappointing to me that jnos doesn't complain about the syntax errors that
such inappropriately-placed comments cause, and instead just silently
ignores, in their entirety, the lines they appear in. Even the rather
ambiguous "Input line: xxx" message would probably have helped...

Anyway, I can now telnet from the keyboard of the linux box to the hosted
jnos app.

(Note to Art, VE1BF: I did verify that turning on IP forwarding isn't
needed for purely local telnet access to jnos -- but I will be sure to turn
it on once I start trying to connect over the LAN!)

Thanks all,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Maiko Langelaar <maiko at pcs.mb.ca> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I didn't get your callsign, anyways just try out the attached
> autoexec.nos (basic JNOS to linux connectivity with telnet).
>
> Replace MMMMMM with your callsign. This is a very simple config
> that works very well on any slackware and redhat based systems.
>
> You have to make sure ip forwarding is enabled :
>
>   echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> It simply has to work, once you see how it does, then you
> can go further with it. There are no ARPs or no IPTABLES or
> anything else needed for this basic setup. Try it out.
>
> Maiko

This cat is pushing a watermelon out of a lake. Your argument is invalid.