[nos-bbs] Monitor

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sun Feb 26 11:15:41 EST 2012

HHMMM Chris

On 02/26/2012 10:18 AM, Chris Maness wrote:
> I am trying both 0111 and 0311.  The strange thing is that it does not
> write to the file until I run the trace vhf off command.  Then it
> dumps everything to the file.  I am a little afraid that if I leave it
> on too long it will crash JNOS.
On a Linux platform fear not, a larger write buffer is more of a
nuisance than a danger.
If JNOS were to crash, the OS will in fact write the buffer before
closing the process.

The shortcoming is that the command "tail 'log-file'" does not get the
most recent packets.
It only gets less-recent traffic that has made it on to the drive from a
full buffer.

The _*use*_ of filed trace data is more of a postmortem than a live monitor.

On a DOS platform?  The rules are different, crashes are more total.