[nos-bbs] White Page Support (TNOS 2.40 Style)

Wm Lewis thunderft at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:18:10 EST 2012

Maiko:

While I don't know about TNOS here are some of the operational features in FBB, that would be nice for JNOS.

FBB Maintains a fluid WP database. It is updated by 2 'primary' sources.

Source 1 is when a user 'registers' or makes changes to their current info. (In JNOS, this would be to 'register' a second time to make needed changes.) When a new registration takes place (or a change takes place), the database is updated automatically by the bbs, and a white-page "message" is created by the system and sent to any forwarding partners desiganted to recieve these white-pages notices. In FBB, there is a separate place to designate which partners will get them, as some of your partners may not wish to receive them.

Source 2 is when your system receives an incoming white-page message from one of your partners. His update then propogates to your system as well, so your system automatically knows about an update somewhere else in the world. Then your system also forwards this same update to your other designated partners. This way the updates propagate to as many systems using the white-page function. This incoming white-page message contains a BID so that systems that already received it can reject it from entering a second time.

I don't know if there are other methods that FBB uses to collect white-pages data.

The next feature is as you described. When a user sends a private message just using a callsign only, the sytem will scan the white-pages database, and if it finds the callsign in the database, the system will re-address the message to go to callsign at hroute. The system does this *BEFORE* is pops up the SUBJECT line in the message being formed. If it does not find a match, the system will pop up a message indicating that the callsign was not found in the database, and caution you to notify the sysop. But the system will then continue on to the SUBJECT line and allow the user to continue sending the message.

If someone starts a message as a bulletin with "SB ...." the system does not scan the white-pages databases.

The FBB white-pages format followed a pre-existing format. I can't recall at this time who it was that developed the format. W0RLI comes to mind, but I can't swear that it was him that designed the format.

If JNOS could receive incoming FBB white-pages bulletins, and send them as well to FBB systems (as well as other JNOS stations), this would be extremely advantagous.

I hope this helps.

Bill.