[nos-bbs] work around for these SIGABRT crashes ...

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Wed Apr 18 23:39:05 EDT 2012

To clarify, I am not sure if defining G_SLICE before you
run JNOS will even work or not. It was just an idea. It's
not clear to me if the JNOS use of the most basic malloc
and free functions falls under the control of the memory
slice routines available since glibc 2.13 ...

G_SLICE may be more specific to Gnome applications which JNOS
is not, that's why I am mentioning it in a second follow up
post. There is also the 'MALLOC_CHECK_' environment variable,
which you can all google if you want, that configures how
sensitive glibc is to malloc/free *errors*. That's another
option you can investigate.

I'm not sure what else to suggest at this time :(

I have put alot of work into trying to reproduce the
crashes that *seem* related to just WPAGES, and I'm
coming up blank each time, I've even looked at byte
alignment as a possibility, nope it's not that.

Suggesting another platform is drastic of course.

The code runs flawless on my Slackware 9 and 13 systems
as well as the RedHat based (Scientific Linux) systems.

I just don't get it :(

Anyways that's the latest.

Maiko