[nos-bbs] netrom alias - discussion on uppercase / lowercase

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Thu Sep 1 15:27:20 EDT 2011

Thanks Bob, I figured that part on the broadcasts.

Now on a completely different topic, it would appear that Xrouter and
Xnet actually use the ALIAS embedded within an L3RTT query to set that
same alias on their side. I was reading the original INP spec and it was
saying that the L3RTT mechanism is implementation specific. Well, reason
why JNOS and 0i are showing up as my ALIAS on Gus and Jean's system I think
now is because I am not following the exact same L3RTT format used by both
the Xrouter and Xnet systems (ie, it is not implemenation specific at all,
if one uses that term to denote specific to JNOS or Xnet or Xrouter, etc).

If any of the above makes no sense, then forget it, but it just goes to
show you that any form of specification unfortunately is very dependant
on interpretation and not any particular standard. Sigh ...

Maiko