[nos-bbs] smtp question

Harry Stone harrystone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 15:59:33 EDT 2011

If you're on residential broadband, a lot of ISPs block incoming traffic to
port 25 in order to try to control spam.  So you're limited when it comes to
running a mail server on DSL or cable modems.

You might try testing it with a telnet connection to port 25 of your IP from
outside your network.  I'm assuming your gateway box is connected directly
to the internet.  If it's behind a router you'll have to port forward 25.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Russ WL7LP <wl7lp at yahoo.com> wrote:

> years ago when I ran a gateway my old system could send and receive email
> from the gateway. now that I got my new system back up. I can send email out
> of the gate. but nothing is coming into the gate. anyone know why and what I
> need to do to get the gate to receive email. sure I must have missed
> something.
>
> 73 Russ WL7LP

Have old memories and young hopes.