[nos-bbs] gateway

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Fri Mar 25 16:49:58 EDT 2011

It is the most common "trap" Dave.

On 03/25/2011 03:44 PM, Don Moore wrote:
> Make sure you have DMZ to that computer's ip
Careful about the choice of IP.  The jnos-directed traffic needs to end
up at jnos and not stop at the jnos platform host.  If you recall, Jay
Nugent posted recently on this reflector to DMZ the jnos-end-IP of the
tun device.  That IP is not the same as the host-eth0-IP.  It is the
"virtual" thing to call jnos as "that computer"...

Right Don?

> address set in your router.
> Don - ve3zda
> *Sent:* Fri, March 25, 2011 3:20:31 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [nos-bbs] gateway
>
> well if funny that you bring that up about tun host and all. after
> further testing it only pings itself and nothing outside the nos machine.

HHMMM  "itself"?
This is the virtual vocabulary trap.
Using the virtual host name "nos" as a computer then the Linux host
needs it's own name -- let's say "hamgate"?
Certainly nos can ping nos and the time should be zero [mostly].
If nos can ping hamgate then the tun device is working just fine and the
time should be really quick.
Then if nos can ping the router then the "forward switch" and routing
[via a static entry and/or thru ARP] is working.
You have mail from ve1bf on the forward switch subject.
And so it goes toward the rest of the world...

Have you used "hop check ..." at all?

> so working on getting it to talk to the rest of the world.  the nos
> machine is connected to my router and router is connected to the cable
> modem. so I got to get it to go thru the router and out the cable modem.
>
> already been scratching my head and I grew up using Dos. now have less
> hair to prove it due to all the scratching :-)

Could beer save hair?...:-)

> 73 Russ WL7LP

Hang in there -- it does work.
Skip