[nos-bbs] smtp gateway command

Wm Lewis thunderft at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 00:48:11 EST 2011

Well, I agree that there should be a way to tell JNOS to always default to an smtp gateway.

But I think the thought process way back when all this was developed was that jnos should
attempt the shortest path first, which meant using a gateway last.

But, the upside is, if your station is setup correctly, even if jnos tries direct connects first, (and
they all get rejected due to bad authentication), then it tries your gateway, and it goes through,
*** the speed at which all this takes place is still so fast there is *almost* no noticable delay
in the mail reaching its destination.

>From *failed first* to *gateway success* delivery, is usually still less than 5-10 seconds.

That's still pretty fast for email delivery.