[nos-bbs] smtp gateway command

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Thu Mar 10 01:59:55 EST 2011

Greetings Michael,

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Michael Fox - N6MEF wrote:

> But that's not the behavior I'm seeing.  See below.  I can ping and telnet
> and whatever to the non-domain.txt hosts but mail doesn't go out to them.

   Try this as a diagnostics tool:

      SMTP TRACE 1000

   Then try to send the suspect email.   The trace should give you some
clue as to why the mail is not moving.

   Do an SMTP TRACE 0 to turn off the tracing when you are done.

   Good luck, and let us know what you find.

      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL

> On 11-03-09 05:11 PM, Michael Fox - N6MEF wrote:
>
> Can someone clarify the usage of the smtp gateway command?
>

> The documentation says:   "Any mail sent to a host not in the domain.txt
> file or not found via a nameserver query, will instead be sent to the
> gateway for forwarding (if #define'd)."
>

> For an OR statement to be true, only one of the inputs need to be true.   So
> if mail is destined for a host which is NOT in domain.txt, then an smtp
> gateway is required, EVEN IF the host IS found via a nameserver query.
> Correct?
>

> If so, that would match the condition I'm seeing.  I don't currently have an
> smtp gateway configured.  Messages to hosts in my domain.txt file go out,
> but messages to hosts which are not in my domain.txt file sit in the smtp
> queue and don't go out, even though those hosts are listed in DNS.
>

> If this is all true, then it seems like the second condition is meaningless
> and should be removed from the text.  In other words, if the destination
> host is not in domain.txt then the mail will be sent to the gateway for
> forwarding.  If a gateway is not defined, then the messages will remain in
> the queue.  Am I reading this wrong?
>

> Michael
>
> N6MEF

        () ascii ribbon campaign in
        /\ support of plain text e-mail

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|