[nos-bbs] Newmail error: I understand so...

Gustavo Ponza g.ponza at tin.it
Tue Jan 11 18:10:14 EST 2011

Hi Maiko and all,
from what I can understand, due to the limited elements, and
apart for the config.h compile data and the autoexec.nos setup
that should be appropriate, the *situation* of the read
messages is mainly *own* by the /spool/mail/*.usr file(s).

Now, each mailbox 'area' have four files, like to the following
taken from my 'meteo' mailbox area:

-------------------
root at darkstar:/jnos/spool/mail# ls -al

-rw------- 1 root root    4086 2011-01-10 20:00 meteo.ind
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root       0 2011-01-10 20:00 meteo.inf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  109430 2011-01-10 20:00 meteo.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      86 2011-01-10 20:00 meteo.usr

in particular, the 'meteo.txt' file contains the 'archive' of
that message area; the 'meteo.ind' contains the 'index' database)
and the (following) 'meteo.usr' contain the situation of the
'read' / 'forwarded' 'id number' of the last message correlated
with the user concerned).

--------------
/jnos/spool/mail/meteo.usr
i0ojj 57544
i3xty 9901
i3xty_ 57576
i4uki_ 57569
i4uki 28086
ir4sp 27570
iq5kg_ 49251

Now, in this illustrated situation the last 'read' message from the
'i0ojj' user is that which is identified with the 'id AA57544' number
and his time-stamp, which follows: