[nos-bbs] removing stale tty lock files

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri Feb 25 13:56:52 EST 2011

> if something says "remove a file" and it doesn't work, it's almost
> certainly due to a file/directory  ownership/permissions issue.

Yeah, but did it give the "Removing stale lockfile for tty" message in
that case (which we may never know).

IF you see that message, then the next call is the unlink (remove the
file), and sure it may be the issue of ownership/permission then. To
make things even more interesting, how does SeLinux handle cases of
abrupt termination. No let's forget about that one. And likely you
would see an audit entry in /var/log/messages anyways right ?

BUT if you don't see the message then the problem is not as clear,
and may very well have to do with what I posted a bit earlier.

Maiko