[nos-bbs] verifying operation of ports

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Feb 4 12:58:49 EST 2011

Greetings Michael,

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Michael Fox - N6MEF wrote:

> Ah, good point.  But we'd still need some sort of cron and scripting
> functions to run a predetermined intervals and make take action
> conditionally, right?

   I do automated testing of every key or critical piece of equipment on
the Michigan AMPnet network, whether Internet attached or via RF.   These
tests are performed from a cron launching a shell script every 3 hours.

   An output report is generated and sent to the following webpage:

      http://server1.nuge.com/~drg/network.html

   The same output file is grepped for the string "not responding" and all
those lines are placed into an error report.  That error report is emailed
to myself (and a few other network administrators) so we know the current
state of the network.  It is further grepped for individual node names and
then emailed to the "owners" of those nodes to give him/her a heads up
that their node needs attention.

   NOTE:  You *MUST* have a 44net interface on the Linux box doing the
          monitoring, because without a SOURCE address in the 44net, the
          node being tested cannot respond back to the monitoring machine.
          As I like to say: "Think like a packet in BOTH directions" :)

   Hope this help,
      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
          ARRL Michigan Section "Digital Radio Group" (DRG)
          [www.MI-DRG.org]

        () ascii ribbon campaign in
        /\ support of plain text e-mail

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|