[nos-bbs] verifying operation of ports

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 18:56:27 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Maiko Langelaar <maiko at pcs.mb.ca> wrote:

> As far as I know, the KISS protocol provides NO provision for the
> acknowledging of data OR commands frames sent to the TNC. It's a
> one way communication, so what is left to use ?
>
> A timeout scenario of sorts ?
>
> Hardware flow control (would that work with a TNC in kiss) ?

By definition, KISS has no flow control..  Actual implementations differ.

The extended KISS protocols, which I've never used, have much more
functionality.

MRTG wouldn't show the TNC itself having a problem but it would show
if something has changed on the port.

JNOS does have AT timed scripting which allows for nifty things like
stopping at midnight and restarting.   That could be used to run a
sanity test on a serial port.   This is probably far less relevant in
NIX than in the older DOS systems.

Years ago we had MRTG on many of the packet TCP ports and I miss that.
 It's going to be a great feature to have now in JNOS.  (Thanks
Maiko!)

Bill