[nos-bbs] IPv6

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Wed Feb 2 10:05:02 EST 2011

I would question many of the assumptions in this email.

Firstly, "The new IPv6 takes over once the IPv4 addresses run out
tomorrow" is just simply not the case. We've been up against this
deadline before and mysteriously numbers have been found and added back
to the pool. Todays deadline only serves to demonstrate how valuable our
address space is. We are already suffering from blue chip interlopers
muscling in on our space.

Secondly, just because the IANA has run out of number that they can
allocate does not mean that there are no more V4 numbers to be had. If
that were true there could be no more customers added to the various
Internet providers. These providers hold huge caches of address space.
The only thing that changes is that they cannot get any more.

As far as the world is concerned it's "business as usual". Not even 10%
of providers are V6 enabled and many of them are only now investigating
how they might incorporate V6 into their networks.

IMHO there will 2 Internets; V4 and V6 and never the twain shall meet.
It'll be up to the consumer to make sure he's able to access both networks.

IPV6 has been a reality here at G7LTT for quite some time now but does
not replace the V4 network. They both have their slings and arrows and
probably will for a long time to come.

On 02/02/2011 09:47 AM, Don Moore wrote:
> Does anyone know if, once IPv4 has been depleted tomorrow, if jnos will
> be affected?
> The new IPv6 takes over once the IPv4 addresses run out tomorrow.
> IPv6 has been around for a while but I guess the real end is near.
> The IPv4 process will work I guess but what happens going forward if
> anything?
>
> Don - ve3zda

/\/\ark Phillips