[nos-bbs] agwpe/flexnet interfaces, JNOS for Windows, and so on ..

Alan Sieg WB5RMG wb5rmg at somenet.net
Wed Dec 7 23:26:59 EST 2011

>  Bill said :
>> it would be useful to have client and server support for
>> the AGWPE TCP interface in JNOS ....
> Maiko said :
> Question : How many people would run AGWPE on one PC and JNOS on an
>             other PC (in linux) ? Unless that other PC was running in
>             a virtual box environment (even more unlikely).

I would.   I'm surely a minority, but I dream of this sometimes.

That is what has been holding me back for some time now.
I recall asking Bill (shortly before he jumped back into JNOS) about this.
I've tried a few things, but my time is very very very limited.
There is minimal audience around here to preach JNOS to, but I try.

I have one TNC and one radio to leave on packet, and I'm trying to
stage a comeback on 145.01. Currently I get more bites on an RMS-GW
than I do on a JNOS BBS, but I want both. Currently I can not share
an under-utilized TNC. RMG-GW wants Winders, JNOS wants linux.
Thats OK, I like each where they are. My computers are under-powered
left-overs (kindof like me I guess...) I need to have something to
show folks what we can do, what we could have, what we are missing.....

I had understood Winmore as an HF modem, maybe I'm wrong.
Ida tried it if I'd thought it was for VHF. I'm sure that sharing a
KISS TNC might be complicated stuff for JNOS - but I've seen some
pretty smart folks hanging around this forum. I know yall can do it.
Bill got me real close, virtual serial ports, network transport,
it was so close - but I couldn't get JNOS to use them...

I was introduced to JNOS in 1990, and ran a BBS back in the day for
nearly 6 years before I was overcome by other circumstances. I know there
are many today that have cultivated the art way beyond what it was then.
However I am today stuck with no users and no infrastructure.

I have no interest in JNOS on Win32, it is great on Linux. If JNOS had
a way to share the TNC on a port with network applications, that would
likely work even better than AGW on a winderz box...     Jus Sayn...
What we need is for JNOS to provide KISS service like AGW does for Windows.
Then I could run RMS-GW on Winders using the network port from JNOS
(I'm using AM-PE already to run RMS-GW via AGW)

Hmmm, maybe I'm talking in circles already. Been a really long day...
(I do lots of scrollin-n-clickin for NASA during the day, I work
engineering and management of the ground network for the Space Station)
JNOS is not rocket science, but obviously doesn't have the budget...
  (oh wait a minute - we don't either... Hmmmmmmm........)

I truely appreciate the work done by Maiko, and the others in this group.
Otherwise JNOS would be only a fleeting memory of some good times in the 90s.

  Thanks guys - all of ya.  Seasons Greetins from Huntsville, AL.
                          ( home to the Rocket-City Rednecks...!...)
--
  #  Alan Sieg, WB5RMG since 1976
  #  http://wb5rmg.wordpress.com