[nos-bbs] smtp gateway control

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Wed Dec 7 01:43:12 EST 2011

Hi Bill,

With respect, I don't think you read what I wrote.

We already send messages within our network without using the gateway.  We
use SMTP for all messages.  We don't use the postfix email gateway for
messages within our network.  We don't use the postfix gateway for messages
within all of amprnet.  We only use it when sending mail to external
internet e-mail users.

It is precisely the desire to CONTINUE to NOT use the gateway when it is not
needed that is the root of my suggestions.  Bob's suggestion would use the
gateway for ALL messages if a gateway is configured.  The issue is
controlling when JNOS makes use of the gateway - using it when needed and
not using it when it is not necessary.

Everyone from little kids to grandparents knows how to address mail messages
with smtp-style addresses.  They do it multiple times a day, every day.  We
like that.  That's one less hurdle for users.  That means pretty much zero
training for addressing a message.  They can use the same addressing style
in our network that they use every day in email.  They can mix internet and
packet destinations in the same message without having a magic decoder ring.
That is a good thing.  We don't want to go backwards.

I appreciate and understand your suggestion about rewriting smtp-style
addresses into non-smtp style addresses for local messages.  It's a novel
approach.  Yes, we could use rewrite to turn smtp addresses into old-style
bbs addresses and use bbs forwarding to move them around.  But that's added
complication to do what already works with a much simpler configuration.

Also, there's a big problem with old-style bbs forwarding.  All of our BBSs
currently have the same call-sign - our club call for the county ares/races
group.  They are differentiated by an SSID.  So they are hosts
w6xsc-1.ampr.org through w6xsc-5.ampr.org.  Users don't have to remember
five unique callsigns.  (w6xsc may seem obscure, but "XSC" is the official
op-area designator for Santa Clara County, and appears on all types of
things, such as RACES activation numbers, etc.  So we all know it as the
county ares/races club call sign, and it's only one call sign to remember).

The current hostnames work fine for internet hostnames and SMTP.  But I
understand from talking with you that this naming scheme won't work for bbs
forwarding since each bbs would need its own unique call sign to configure
in the haddress.  That's a big turn-off.

I don't see the value of having all of our users learn 5 different call
signs when one currently works.  I don't see the value in rewriting the
current standard mail address format known by everyone into an older format
know by only a small and shrinking population, and using extra rules in
rewrite and forward.bbs, just to recreate what already works with much more
simplicity.   To me, it makes much more sense to add the flexibility to JNOS
to make it easily fit into various modern SMTP environments, than to try to
force SMTP environments backward into something else.

Michael