[nos-bbs] JNOS smtp - discussion

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Tue Dec 6 11:35:15 EST 2011

Hi Maiko,

I don't know about others, but I'm not so concerned about the SMTP in JNOS
being old or out of spec.  That's because I think for anything other than
JNOS to JNOS, we'll want to use a relay host anyway.  There's just too much
bad stuff out there to fend off.  Whether postfix or exim or sendmail, the
popular mailers all have the ability to define checks and filters and
lookups that just wouldn't make sense to replicate in JNOS.  It would be a
lot of work to develop, even more work to test and, in the end, even if all
these features were replicated, I think most people will probably just send
things to the relay host anyway, so they don't have to
learn/configure/manage yet another mailer.

So my thinking is to just give us some control over how/when JNOS uses the
relay host.

So far, it looks like Bob and I agree that the current behavior is bad.  Bob
and I agree that if an "smtp gateway" is defined, then, by default, all mail
should go there.  But I believe that if the default is to send everything to
the gateway, then we MUST be able to define some exceptions to this or else
we create a different set of problems that we don't have today.  We'll see
where the discussion goes...

Michael
N6MEF