[nos-bbs] JNOS & tactical calls

Michael Curry dgspotman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:38:33 EDT 2011

Hi Michael,

> 1a) There's no #define that I can change to #undef to turn off the
> alphabet-soup prompt (a user still needs to issue the X command to get that
> to go away);
>

> I’m pretty sure he added something for this, too.  But I don’t know what he
> labeled it.

Okay, I will have a look through the code.

> 1b) The alphabet-soup prompt doesn't prevent Outpost from working correctly
> with JNOS (statements found on the Outpost website to the contrary
> notwithstanding);
>

> I think that is correct, but you should test to verify.

Will do... in the next few minutes! :-)

> 2) Even though (after #undef'ing the two symbols named above) I don't need
> to doctor up entries in users.dat for the Tactical Call Signs, I still need
> to create entries for them in ftpusers (unless I'm willing to let them
> default to "univperm", or some more specific "<interface>perm").
>

> The allowed tactical call signs are not defined in users.dat.  They are
> defined in a file called “TacCalls” which is located in the main JNOS
> directory.

Copy that. I got the skinny on TacCalls from one of the responses to the OP
in this thread.

My  interest in asking this question was simply to know how to interpret the
various codes and fields found in users.dat, so I wouldn't be hacking it
blindly (which I've already done, once!).

> I would say yes, you’d need to define the perms in ftpusers if you don’t
> want univperm.

Yep, that was my sense, again, something to test.

> Michael
>
> N6MEF

Thanks for the time and attention!

Michael KI6TYV