[nos-bbs] bizarre - power spike, tnc kiss frame corruption, jnos crashes

Kerry Smith n3nxo at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 21:46:23 EDT 2010

Hey Maiko,

Now that the hair is not straight up like your hanging onto
a static ball, here is something else about the problem you
found.

I found someone else having the same problem as me after
digging into the past messages from this list.

My system was running great.  Moved everything to my new
place and in the process, could not move all the antennas.
Thus, the 4 RF ports on the computer got kicked back to
one RF port with the other three still there.  I just
unplugged the TNC's from the ports that were not being used
and ran the system with one RF port.  What I came to find was
you could telnet into the system from another computer,
and do almost anything you wanted.  BUT, if you attempted
to gain access locally, it would happen, but it would take
you forever in a day to get logged in.

What I found was the CPU running at Max.  When I did a TOP,
I found jnos sitting on top of the stack, using up 98% of the
CPU.  A quick reboot, and all is fine.  Give it a couple
hours, and it will go back to the top.

The solution was to detach the unused ports after the
system starts.  I found and so did the person having the
same problem before me, that jnos is not very happy when
it attempts to send data out it's serial port, and can't
talk to the TNC at the other end.  I used the Detach idea
but just having the tnc at the other end turned on, with
the radio turned off would have done the same thing in
correcting the problem.

I'm saying this becuase of the problem you found with the
header corruption.

Kerry