[nos-bbs] What was compiled into JNOS

Jim Smith lanshark at charter.net
Wed Oct 27 16:19:17 EDT 2010

On 10/27/2010 2:05 PM, Jay Nugent wrote:
> Greetings Jim (et al),
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Jim Smith wrote:
>

> On another topic, I was just crawling through the source code looking
> for a place to add a compile time option of wrapping the config.h into
> the executable and providing a commandline switch to write it out at
> runtime then exit. This way someone can recall just what options went
> into making the binary without having to keep a list of config.h files
> around and having to remember what file went with what binary. Just a
> thought...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim N8AVX
>
>     finger info@<FQDN>
>

> # finger info at ampr.nuge.com
> [ampr.nuge.com]
> JNOS 2.0a (80386), compiled May 06 2005 22:16:16 by BC 0410
> for Jay Nugent WB8TKL, containing:
>
> TCP Servers: SMTP FINGER FTP
>               TELNET TTYLINK
>               CONVERS POP3
> TCP Clients: SMTP FINGER FTP TELNET TTYLINK
>               CONVERS POP3 TIME LOOK
>      with TCP/IP access controls
> UDP Servers: DOMAIN-NAMESERVER REMOTE(with DYNIP)
> UDP Clients: REMOTE
> Mailbox Server
> Full Service BBS with:
>       AX.25 mail forwarding
>             with FBB Style Compressed Forwarding
>       BBS 'R:-line' compatibility
> Internet Services:  AX.25 Digipeating (24 ports)  IP Encapsulation
> Hopcheck IP path tracing
> 7 interrupt buffers of 2048 bytes
> Generic async (8250/16450/16550) interface driver
> Async interface drivers:  KISS-TNC  POLLED-KISS  AX.25
> Async IP drivers:  Serial Line (SLIP)
> FTP Software's PACKET driver interface
> Generic ethernet driver
> Hardware interface packet tracing (minimal monitor-style trace available)
>

>     Tells ya what was compiled in.  Perhaps not in the format you were
> looking for...
>
>     Enjoy!
>        --- Jay WB8TKL

Jay,

   Of course you are correct, but what I want to know is did I compile
in the <extra functionality to standard function> when I compiled it?
The info command doesn't tell the entire story. It is mostly a trial and
error (mostly trial...) process to reverse engineer the config file from
the info output.

   You will get the main points, but *will* miss some things. That is
why I would like to build in a function to output the actual config.h
used to build that particular binary. Of course it should be a compile
time option if you are worried about the extra dozen k or so in the
binary. I just want the option...

Cheers!

Jim N8AVX

(dozen k or so? Make it smaller. ifdef linux compress config.h, then on
the output jnos -O | uncompress > config.h)