[nos-bbs] Unanswered emails & tracking REJ, FRMR, RNR, RR, AX25 performance

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Mon Oct 18 17:17:13 EDT 2010

Hi Maiko,

Excellent idea.  I wouldn't say we "track" those counts but we sure do look
at those frames when diagnosing a problem.  Of course, often, we're told
about a problem after the fact, such as, "I was trying to check-in last
Tuesday and I had this or that problem".  So if we had stats we could look
at, in addition to the trace files, I think that would be an excellent tool
for overall performance management and optimization.

If the stats of an individual user were available to that user, not just the
sysop, that would also be a win.  The user could make their adjustments,
clear the counters, and then look at the results again.

I still want to put in a plug for eliminating the delay in the write of
trace info to a file.  With the current delay, it's just impossible to do
any real-time troubleshooting.  Output to the screen scrolls by too quickly
and output to the file doesn't happen in real-time.

I should think that the decoding of the trace info is what uses CPU
resources, and once that's done, it should be no more burden on JNOS to hand
the decoded text to the file system for writing than it currently is to
display it to the screen.

Michael
N6MEF