[nos-bbs] ubuntu 9.1 compiles OK now, but...

Jim Smith lanshark at charter.net
Thu Nov 25 22:58:28 EST 2010

Jerome,

  I had some issues running it with sudo (Ubuntu 9.1 and later). Never
figured it out, but it seemed to be time related. Things would work, then it
didn't, anywhere from 4 to 28 hours later. It *never* ran past 28 hours or
so. I ran it as root and never had that problem. I think it has to do with
the way sudo works. I notice that if I'm doing a lot of sudo, it does not
ask me for a password on actions subsequent to the first sudo *up until* I
go beyond a time limit, then it asks for a password to do sudo actions
again.

  My guess is the jnos process at some point doesn't use the magic sudo
powers for long enough and the sudo password cache times out which causes
the jnos process issues. I have no firm data on this, just a niggling
thought. What I *did* have that put me off of Ubuntu was that anywhere from
24 to 48 hours after the process started it would start consuming all CPU on
the box. I built a slackware 10.1 box and it has run well on that.

Cheers!

Jim N8AVX