[nos-bbs] more info regarding conv link

Don Moore donmoore at rogers.com
Tue Nov 16 07:17:45 EST 2010

I'll try to explain what I see when the link fails.

Last night myself and a few others were using converse and one of us was via rf.

During our chat the rf link would drop suddenly and the person on that link
would not see the last few lines of conversation.  The relink process would
bring the link back up but after a few of these he became very frustrated.

What I observed while watching the trace was that when the link dropped there
was a large amount of tcp activity to and from my axip connections.  It appears
that jnos does not handle that amount of activity fast enough to stop the link
from dropping as it waits in line for the acks and data to be sent/received and
then the link drops.

If the person on rf connects to me then goes into conv, the connection is never
lost because there's no ip traffic involved on that interface.

Is there a fix or parameters available to stop these failures?
I've checked tcp settings and increased or decreased as necessary to have it
retry more, maxw to zero..that kind of stuff and conv umax, hmax at zero and so
on.
Is there something I may have missed when compiling  jnos?

Any help would be appreciated.

73, Don - ve3zda