[nos-bbs] rip process

Kerry Smith n3nxo at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 19:22:48 EST 2010

Don,
If you can find the docs, there are the rip commands listed
in there.  I've been using rip here, and i'm only using it between
stations that have a direct link between themselves.  First
problem I ran into was when you start the system, you have to
have some type of route to get things started.  Example would be
like a default route pointing to the radio side or such, then once
things start to talk, they will pass there routes back and forth.

I have a route addprivate statement with a /25 of address space.
The rip will not send out or overwrite any private routes, just
the public ones.  I then have each direct link station configured
in the other machine so that they can pass there routes back and
forth.  Since some of the stations can not see others, this is how
the routes get passed around.

Example...

A can see B, B can see C, A can NOT see C.  After the routes are
passed back and forth, B will send to C that A can be reached via
B, and B will send to A that C can be Reached via B.  Each exta hop
will add 1 to the metric, so this can go on for upto 14 hops, since
each one starts out as a metric of 2, and when it hits a metric of
16, the route is considered DEAD.

If you have more questions, feel free to contact me off list.

Kerry - n3nxo
n3nxo at yahoo.com