[nos-bbs] Ubuntu 10.4 Server and JNOS anyone?

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Jun 22 08:24:42 EDT 2010

On 06/21/2010 08:41 PM, Jim Smith wrote:

>   How long after the path gets broken does it occur?
Many hours / my node runs 24/7 very unattended so I have no way to hang
a time on it and I have not found any tracks left behind in trace or
logs.  It is also rare with an easy fix so I remain disinterested in
reproducing the fault and killing the bug [if there is one].   On this
node, AX.25 mail forwarding is defined but the server is not started
[usually], light traffic area, email over tcp/ip is the major use.  The
software is very reliable as long as there is no fault in the hardware.

> I have nothing attached to the serial port yet. I'm wondering if that
> is the problem. I would hope that things would be written such that if
> a port became non-responsive the system would not chew up CPU.
Never ran w/o I/O here, attachments have always been between 1 and 3.
I've never pursued the cause either, the suspect for me has been piled
up TCP frames that have no place to go -- but remember suspicion has
very little value.   The gdb debugger might be your friend, interupt and
backtrace a number of times and maybe a pattern will show up?

> I wish I knew C better, I'd go trawling through the code to see...
You don't need c to isolate the high CPU code, just a good bit of
diligence and luck.  I can't speak for the jnos community, but it MAY be
interested in your findings because it represents unusual behavior.
Fixing it is another matter...

> Cheers!
>
> Jim N8AVX

73