[nos-bbs] JNOS, maildir instead of mbox, *global* mail - comments ?

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Jun 15 23:51:54 EDT 2010

On 06/14/2010 09:52 PM, Maiko Langelaar wrote:
> Some time in early 2009, I wrote something along the line of :
>
>> This goes along the same line of thought as GLOBAL mailboxes :
>
>>   What if I could connect to any NOS, FBB, MSYS, whatever system
>>   and simply direct a mail to a callsign (ie, VE4KLM), instead of
>>   to VE4KLM@#WPG.MB.CAN.NOAM ? Our callsigns are **UNIQUE**, so why
>>   bother with the #WPG.MB.CAN.NOAM or somewhere.someplace.com ?
How significant is it that you identify AX.25 network addressing w/o
TCP/IP equivalent?
How significant is the comparison of:
    TCP/IP SMTP only end-to-end
VS
    AX.25 multi-hop mail delivery & bulletin delivery automation
How many hops between me and the global mailbox?

>> Winlink has it that you simply send to the CALLSIGN. Again, I have
>> seriously been thinking about a global system where we just scrapt the
>> suffix, so that the mail is truly GLOBAL, not local to a particular
>> system.
You have focused on the big mailbox in the sky.
The one that has the commercial brother [sailmail].
Do you envision a parallel development and maybe a commercial off-shoot
as well?
Competition?

>> People have suggested a central IMAP server with IMAP proxies
>> distributed globally and then have *participating* NOS systems link
>> into that system. OR something along that line.
I vaguely remember a 4yo conversation on IMAP & ham radio.
I better remember walking away from the encounter convinced overhead was
a killer.
Because my IMAP happens at Internet speeds -- I have no real measure...

>> That stuff truly exites me.
And I have tamed jnos to the point where my host delivers [pops] k8rra
mail to me anywhere I happen to be on demand.
Doesn't matter TCP/AX incoming mail technology.
If the mailbox in the sky means another level of overhead to save a few
address characters.. hhhmmm.
Not that I get a whole lot of mail from jnos...:-)
I haven't counted, but I think my unanswered mail count to Winnipeg is
now three.

> I have been looking into this again lately, and the big obstacle that
> stands out to me is that JNOS is using MBOX format for the mail. Just
> looking at the locking code is enough to give me a headache.
>
> Now, if it were a MAILDIR based system instead, I think it would be
> immensely easier and much less complicated to implement this idea of
> global mailboxes within the JNOS software.
>
> Any comments ?
The TCP/IP network is robust with services -- DNS, ... HUGE-LIST.
The AX.25 network doesn't even have SSID standards.
Anything you code improves AX, then who gets on the bandwagon?
BTW: what ever happened to TCP/IP over the air experiment?

I agree with your premis -- hate typing [including mis-spelling
addresses] -- do like some challenges.
An alternate to lots of address typing could be a simple address book
incorporated into the BBS server?

> Please, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this.
If this lights your fire -- may the flame burn brightly without being
your pyre.
Haven't seen much of you technical thinking on the subject.
Probably no need to see since you will do the coding.
You might however want to lay out the externals for a heads-up on how to
apply your product in the field?.

> Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM
73
Skip