[nos-bbs] JNOS, maildir instead of mbox, *global* mail - comments ?

Jim Smith lanshark at charter.net
Tue Jun 15 17:44:13 EDT 2010

On 6/14/2010 9:52 PM, Maiko Langelaar wrote:

> Now, if it were a MAILDIR based system instead, I think it would be
> immensely easier and much less complicated to implement this idea of
> global mailboxes within the JNOS software.
>
> Any comments ?
>
> Please, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this.
>
> Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM

Maiko,

   He who codes, rules. :)

   Looking at it from a distributed system point of view I see the main
problem not as being an issue with how the local mail agent manages its
queue, but how the local mail agent decides where to send the items in
the queue.

   At some point you have to make a routing decision. Where does *that*
happen? What happens when that goes away? How is that routing decision
made, and how are those decisions given to the local mail agent?

   It simply comes down to where the routing intelligence lives and how
the local mail agent interacts with it. The hard part is not going to be
figuring out the most efficient locking mechanism for what process has
access to a mail queue, it is determining where to send the mail.

  How to do it? Geez, I've already re-written this last paragraph half a
dozen times trying to succinctly sum it up. I think too fast for my
typing speed. Maybe I'll work on some ideas after I've had a few days to
mull it over.

Cheers!

Jim N8AVX