[nos-bbs] JNOS always waits for remote SID?

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sun Jan 3 21:58:21 EST 2010

There is a remedy Dan.

On 01/03/2010 09:30 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm tinkering with JNOS 2.0fA.  If I connect to the BBS from a remote
> station, I don't get anything until I hit enter.  After that, I get the
> JNOS SID and I can proceed as expected.
>
> I think JNOS is waiting for an SID to determine if it should offer B2F
> (just a guess), but this confuses a human user and makes Outpost hang
> forever.

You are correct about the wait, when the BBS shares an SSID with another
server.
Until the operator [client software] provides a tie-breaker character
jnos waits [forever].
Most human users are trainable -- client software is more challenging.

> Is there something I can change to fix this behavior?  I've tried:
>
>    mbox fbb 0
>    mbox usersonly vhf on
>    mbox bbsonly vhf off
>
> and nothing seems to help.

The work-around is to assign the BBS to it's own SSID, then an AX.25
session starts upon connect.
Now you have the new training need for humans -- but client software can
be happy:-)
No standard set of SSID assignments is available, only local practice.
One SSID pattern is presented at:

http://jnoswiki.no-ip.org/jnoswiki/SiteUser?highlight=%28SSID%29|%28example%29#SSID_SERVICE_ACCESS
that seems to me quite over-kill and difficult -- but it IS a pattern
used in MI.

The wiki discusses this in some detail.
Search on text "SSID"

> Any suggestions?  Thanks!