[nos-bbs] JNOS and Winlink interfacing -- close but stuck

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Sat Dec 25 14:21:03 EST 2010

On 12/25/2010 07:59 AM, Maiko Langelaar wrote:
> John,
>
>> Perhaps I could fix this with a rewrite for Y at Z.
>
> In the B2F scheme of things all addressing and other mail headers
> are contained in the payload, unlike how it is done for regular FBB
> stuff. The FC proposal basically just contains the message ID which
> could be used to check for duplicates, and some checksum info.
>
> If you read the *latest* notes, you will not see me use 'wl2k' as a
> user. The telpac stuff is considered obsolete, use a callsign of an
> actual user. The telpac to a winlink server idea is just something I was
> playing with, but it never really caught on with me. I always figured if
> I really wanted to get a message to a winlink user over the internet, I
> might as well just email them :) Perhaps I should have been more clear
> about that in past documentation.

OK, I'm a bit confused about all this.  I removed the tcp...telpac line,
and just have:

-------------
wl2k P
ax25 rms kr0l-7
+>
*
.C KYWIL d
+Connected
*
.C RMSWIL
wl2k
-------------

Are you saying that you believe that the fact that I am saying "wl2k" in
two places instead of wa4zko-11 is the cause of my trouble?  Because as
far as I can tell, the setup here is functionally identical to the one
described at that link.

Also, I should be clear: this initial attempt is to receive a message
sent from the Internet to a Winlink user (me).

For some, the appeal of Winlink is being able to do that without an
Internet connection (on boats, etc.)  I am trying to find a way to make
this happen on Linux.

-- John