[nos-bbs] JNOS and Winlink interfacing -- close but stuck

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Dec 23 16:35:28 EST 2010

Hi folks,

I'm John KR0L from Kansas.  I am a long-time Linux person and have
recently taken an interest in Winlink.  I can, of course, connect to an
RMS node and read mail manually.  It's not very convenient, and I
noticed that JNOS is said to work with it.  I've gotten it about 75% of
the way there but can't quite make it happen.

So, I've found the Winlink notes at
http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jnos2/documents/JnosWL2Knotes.txt as
well as the TCP info at
http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jnos2/documents/changes.txt which
seems to be slightly dated.  I have set up this in my forward.bbs file:

-------------
wl2k P
tcp 203.59.28.61 8772 telpac
@
+Callsign :
@
.XXXX
+Password :
@
.CMSTELNET
wl2k
-------------

I, of course, used KR0L in place of XXXX up there; just didn't want to
make something that's easy to cut and paste into a broken recipe.

(I have not yet set up the kissattach gateway between JNOS and the
kernel so, for the time being, this made for easier debugging.)

Now then, watching tcpdump, as well as the output of MBOX TRACE ON, I
can see that this recipe is working.  It is connecting to the remote,
and the remote is offering mail.  But from my JNOS log, here's where the
problem lies:

12:29:00  203.59.28.61:8772 - MBOX (wl2k) connected
12:29:02  - recv [[WL2K-2.5.0.1-B2FIHJM$]
]
12:29:02  - recv [Perth CMS >
]
12:29:02  - sending our SID
12:29:02  203.59.28.61:8772 - MBOX (wl2k) forwarding
12:29:03  203.59.28.61:8772 - MBOX (wl2k) FA E X Y Z 0AYJDA2LJK4R 142
135 0 0
12:29:04  203.59.28.61:8772 - our FBB response is FS -

So Winlink offered a message, and JNOS rejected it with FS -.  Why JNOS
rejected it, I don't know; perhaps it didn't like message type E, or the
sender bbs X, Y, Z, etc.  But that's just supposition.

In the end, this is supposed to work, and I don't think that the TCP
layer is to blame, since it is talking, and WL2K does offer a message
when I think it should.  But yet JNOS rejects it.

Any ideas on what my next steps should be?

Thanks,

-- John