[nos-bbs] pk-12 kiss escape

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sun Aug 1 11:27:25 EDT 2010

Morn' Jaye.

On 07/30/2010 12:53 AM, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Long shot but I'm trying to figure out how to get this pk-12 out of kiss mode.
> Manual says send three ^C's but in minicom, it absolutely does not work.
minicom does some key-mapping you may need to re-program.
Also another issue is related to the time window and perhaps a required
delay between ^C characters in order to effect a reset.
Some variation exists in make and model of the TNC.

A solution I have been using here on various Kantronics hardware takes a
couple steps to set up, but then uses the minicom "send ascii file"
function to exit the KISS mode:
Minicom [or maybe just OS Linux?] has some translation built in to the
package.
First build an ascii file in maybe "keystroke" format [I wish I
remembered the detail].
This will be maybe a 8char file size.
Then ask minicom [Linux?] to convert it to ascii format and give it a
name [my name is "xk" for "eXit Kiss mode":-)].
This will be maybe a 4byte file size.

Then use the minicom "send" - "ascii" - "xk" function, and if all is
well the response is the TNC command prompt.

> This TNC is on my aprs tx-gate and I'd really like to automate a little
> script to set it back into command mode.
>
> Tips/help/advice ??

As long as you have access to the jnos sysop console, the "tip" command
gets you a virtual session on an interface and you may issue the ^C from
there [again honoring key-mapping] or even build three ^C into an
"onexit.nos" script.
> tnx&  73

Let me know how you skin this cat and I'll post the example on jnoswiki
for others to use?
I'm sorry I can't remember detail just at this moment...

73
Skip