[nos-bbs] Interested in REPEAT packet statistics?

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu Apr 15 13:06:51 EDT 2010

Yo Barry.

On 04/15/2010 10:34 AM, Barry wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:20:37 -0400, "George \[ham\] VerDuin"
> <k8rra at ameritech.net>  wrote:
>
>> Maybe -- I guess it depends on how irritated you get while
>> retransmission goes on and you wait for response from jnos.
>> I've seen it bad enough that jnos fails to connect to users
>> on the remote stations.  The radio gets blamed but the radio
>> is not at fault [in the samples I collected].
>>
> I have found in the past that the level of irritation generally
> increases proportionately (or possibly exponentially) to the
> number of retransmissions.

As have I.
The other thing I see is that all who wait don't know what they are
waiting for.

Now stats are very much after-the-fact.
In fact, they can't be looked at soon because they would no longer be stats.
Sad.

But there is also a convenience to stats -- look whenever you get the urge.
The when the time is right the sysop who reads the stats can ponder the
cause.

>> I can honor a NO answer, and appreciate that I'm talking to
>> a very patient person.
>>
> I've heard that patience is a virtue.  I wonder if that is
> really true?  Anything that can help to decrease global
> irritation is a good thing.

You bet.
But too much patience leads one into missing things.
So each of us set our own threshold..

Remember the original question?
   => How many?
The simplist answer is:
   ==> Just the right amount -- no more / no less.
It's a deep study to achieve the simplest answer, most don't want to
venture there.
They depend on the wisdom of:
   1) the software engineer to design the best protocol.
   2) the sysop to set appropriate configuration.
Unfortunately...

> Do the sysops who must react to "too many re-transmissions" also
> need to be interested?  It may be easier to find sysops who aren't
> interested than it is to find sysops who are.

SLAM DUNK.

Not only sysops but leadership too.
Maybe too much ego or something, I doubt it is laziness.

If you dig up a sysop who wants to look at his own stats, introduce us?
Meanwhile -- may the force be with ya.

Skip