[nos-bbs] Interested in REPEAT packet statistics?

Barry k2mf at ptd.net
Thu Apr 15 10:34:59 EDT 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:20:37 -0400, "George \[ham\] VerDuin"
<k8rra at ameritech.net> wrote:

> Good to hear from a 53 New Yorker driver [rider?] Barry.

Both.  I was a rider before I was a driver and after I was a
driver my parents gave me the car in 1969.  It lasted until
Easter Sunday 1970, when we had a snowstorm on the east coast.
The transmission finally stopped transmissioning.  It simply
ran out of ACKs.  I rolled to a stop on the NJ Turnpike on my
way back to college and then had to figure out how to dispose
of the car.  It was a very sad day, indeed because that's the
day I lost my oil pressure gauge.

> Barry wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:39:34 -0400, "George \[ham\] VerDuin"
>> <k8rra at ameritech.net> wrote:

[snippie]

>>> *Does a problem with re-transmission exist during the period
>>> of study.*
>>
>> I answer "yes".
>>
>> (Is that the correct answer?)
>
> Maybe -- I guess it depends on how irritated you get while
> retransmission goes on and you wait for response from jnos.
> I've seen it bad enough that jnos fails to connect to users
> on the remote stations.  The radio gets blamed but the radio
> is not at fault [in the samples I collected].

I have found in the past that the level of irritation generally
increases proportionately (or possibly exponentially) to the
number of retransmissions.

> I can honor a NO answer, and appreciate that I'm talking to
> a very patient person.

I've heard that patience is a virtue.  I wonder if that is
really true?  Anything that can help to decrease global
irritation is a good thing.

[snippie]

>>> SO -- On the *single* issue of "Does a problem exist"
>>> Not how big is it
>>> Not where is it
>>> Not what caused it
>>
>> I think I'm starting to get the picture even though my idiot
>> light is burned out!
>
> Actually -- the engineers did not see fit to provide a light on
> nos [and that is not derogatory -- their focus is elsewhere].

Those dang engineers again!  We must therefore find another
solution.

> If you look at the jnos status output there is measurement of
> re-transmission count.  It would be up to you as an interested
> sysop to get out your calculator and graph paper to track that
> number over time and circumstance.

How about pomp and circumstance?  When I find a sysop who is
interested I will commandeer his calculator and graph paper
so that I can see it for myself!

> It's not like the gauge either because there is no red/green
> part on the dial.

I have learned that unfortunately, nothing is simple.

> Consider for a moment:  In the absence of some gauge how can you
> expect some response?

I don't know.  Another dilemma gosh darn it!

> One significant difference between my original stats and the jnos
> output:
>
>   jnos displays transmits
>   my stats are based on input (receives)
>
> I suspect the focus on incoming data is more appropriate than output.

Incoming data is really important on which to focus because the data
must be incoming in order for it to be present and accounted for.

[snippie]

>>> I'll discuss the what in later email, for now just focus on
>>> *when*.
>>
>> Where?
>
> Right here in River City...
> Remember those lyrics?

Yes I do!

> Henry Hill was trying to sell trombones.

Yes he was!  76 I believe?  And they led the big parade along with
those pesky 110 cornets, I think.

> I'm trying to find a consensus for when we as sysops must react
> to "too many re-transmissions..."
>
> For myself I have an answer.  The hard part of the solution is
> that it requires broader participation.

Do the sysops who must react to "too many re-transmissions" also
need to be interested?  It may be easier to find sysops who aren't
interested than it is to find sysops who are.

--
73, de Barry, K2MF >>
k2mf at ptd.net

Einstein's definition of insanity:

"Doing the exact same thing over and over again,
expecting different results."

--
Barry
k2mf at ptd.net