[nos-bbs] JNOS 2.0g critical fix !!! random crashing + a race condition

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Sat Oct 24 21:18:23 EDT 2009

Greetings to all,

I have run into two (2) serious problems with JNOS 2.0g for linux

1. A race condition accidently introduced in JNOS 2.0f2, where JNOS
    will go into 100 percent CPU consumption, and possibly crash, or
    just hang until it's killed *externally* with a kill -9 <pid>.

2. The CHKSTK code seems to cause random crashes. This is a big
    surprise to me, and cost me over a week's worth of debugging
    to try and locate the source of the problem.

Both conditions are now fixed with a simple patch to the source.

Please visit the official JNOS 2.0 website, the patch is there :

     http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jnos2

My apologies if this has caused any major grief for anyone.

Also, my latest JNOS (64 bit compatible) release (2.0h) beta seems
to be quite stable so far (for linux of course). I just updated my
website with another recent snapshot of my development system. If
any one is interested in testing this, please go for it. Thanks.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM