[nos-bbs] Fwd: Outpost telnet into JNOS

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Fri Oct 23 21:59:37 EDT 2009

I can venture a guess Bill.

On 10/23/2009 06:58 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
> Somebody here on nos-bbs may have some insight.  Could these be the
> telnet negotiation control codes?

Probably not - more likely terminal control.
> Bill - WA7NWP

The PWD text above appears to contain "yu " non-ascii characters twice
from jnos, perhaps to toggle echo display on the terminal, along with
the pwd "test<cr><lf>".
I suggest you display the subject characters in HEX then consult the
documentation for the terminal type emulated by Outpost and compare it
with (?) emulation you normally use.  This should allow you to discover
the intended display for comparison to actual display you see.
*If* Outpost automatic login feature is built using the standard
challenge-response pairs of text, then the extra characters "should not"
defeat a jnos telnet login by Outpost.

The standard display for pwd is null [not "0" null ascii character, just
no display at all].
I don't have the source immediately available to see how the echo is
handled for sure.
The real stretch [ancient memory probe] is DOS -- I seem to remember
"blank" was displayed for any non-ascii character in a text string.

Passwording for JNOS telnet is particularly weak -- typically clear text.
Jnos has one feature you might use to your advantage:
New user passwords are cataloged just like presented on the initial user
login.
So if an encrypted pwd is presented for the first login, it may work
again so long as the process is repeated.