[nos-bbs] JNOS onTivo!?!

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Tue Oct 6 10:43:16 EDT 2009

So I have a few of the series 2 tivo's kicking around that are now
redundant thanks to the digital migration.

You'll probably be aware that these are MIPS based Linux boxes running
at around 250MHz.

Just for jollies I tried to cross compile JNOS to run on it. It works!!
  My testbed Tivo isn't your stock Tivo however. I had to do all the
hacks to open it up and add extra HDD space etc. It now behaves like a
proper Linux box that can also do Tivo.

These things are popping up for less that $25 at hamfests all over the
place. They have a serial port, built in modem, USB-a-plenty, 40 or 80GB
HDD and 64MB of RAM.

Reduce. Re-use. Recycle!