[nos-bbs] POP3 from GMAIL

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Wed May 27 01:32:59 EDT 2009

> Some details on how you used stunnel to get around gmail's need for ssl?

Here's the link/magic that made it work..

From: http://www.davidwang.com/technical-blog/tunnelingpop3smtptogmailsslpop3ssmtpsusingxinetdonlinux

I setup the xinetd tunnel for pop3 on the linux server hosting JNOS.
Then I added a popmail client on the JNOS system pointing at the linux
host:

popmail addserver LINUX pop3 nwpnos

A popmail kick LINUX  command polls gmail so fast I can't see what
happens...  I guess that's a good thing - after 1200 baud.

My quest to save the messages in different mail boxes has taken a bit
of a slowdown - it appears the pop session fetches multiple messages
and then saves them all at one time.   I may have to limit it to
fetching one message at a time for a quick fix to pulling out the
mailbox address from the To line like this example:

  To: nwpnos+ac7yy at gmail.com

73
Bill - WA7NWP