[nos-bbs] domain suffix adds even with periods..

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 00:17:06 EDT 2009

>> Try:
>>
>> 'domain suffix wa563."
>> "hostname nwpnos.wa563"
>
> Thanks Barry.   I'll hit that as soon as I get home tonight.

Home at last and finally got to try it.  I still think there's
something weird with the "is there a period" routine.   If I have
domain suffix set as above, when I queue a message from the BBS I see
the dns query go out for nwpnos.wa563.wa563.   When I set domain
suffix to 'none' it works as expected...

Ahhh...   I got it.    There's an minor error in the source comment
and the length requirement is not mentioned in the help page..

>From domain.c:

        /* There is a dot in the name. Check last part of
         * name. If longer than 4 char it must be a name
         * 4 or less is probably a domain (org, army, uk)
         */
        if(Dsuffix != NULLCHAR){
            if(strlen(pp) <= 5){

Since my local domain is 5 characters, it's assuming it's not a domain
and thus it appends the domain suffix.   That's not really a good test
but easy to work around.

Thanks again.

Bill

As usual, I think I found this same issue once before.