[nos-bbs] domain suffix adds even with periods..

Barry k2mf at ptd.net
Thu Jun 11 15:51:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:41:33 -0700, Bill V WA7NWP <wa7nwp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Once again I'm doing battle to get JNOS to deliver SMTP messages to
> itself for mailbox posting.   Seems like this comes up with every
> installation.  Sigh.

Don't you just hate those problems that keep cropping up when you
forget what you had to do the last time to fix them?

> Anyway, has anybody else noticed a glitch where the "has a period"
> logic isn't working?
>
> domain suffix is  wa563
>
> hostname is nwpnos.wa563
>
> The doc for domain suffix says (essentially) " this suffix will be
> appended to any name without a period prior to DNS discovery."
>
> My hostname has the period.. When SMTP runs to deliver the local
> messaged destined for @nwpnos.wa563, I see the DNS query going out for
> "nwpnos.wa563.wa563" which of course returns a bogus openDNS site that
> happily ignores the SMTP attempts to its port 25.
>
> My domain.txt file has local entries for  'nwpnos." and
> 'nwpnos.wa563.'  with the trailing periods.
>
> I finally got it close to working when I set "domain suffix none"
>
> Any thoughts?

Try:

'domain suffix wa563."
"hostname nwpnos.wa563"

Get rid of "nwpnos." in the domain file since that will never match.
The "nwpnos.wa563." entry is ok.

Queries for either "nwpnos", "nwpnos.wa563" and "nwpnos.wa563."
*should* now all go out as "nwpnos.wa563."

--
73, de Barry, K2MF >>
k2mf at ptd.net