[nos-bbs] teaser image - JNOS web based *vnc*/*mailbox*/whatever ...

George [Skip] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 1 12:30:09 EDT 2009

Hi Bill.

Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
>> I hope you might consider a sysop interface to follow?
>>

> I'd wager that the remote sysop interface we have through the mailbox
> will work in the web scheme.
No takers on that bet here.  Still, the mbox entrance to sysop console
yields but a subset of function.
> The same issues with remotely launching
> a command that creates a new windows would apply here.   Basically we
> should be able to do almost anything.

Perhaps the creative part of a web interface for sysop is how to handle
the top status lines.  The present interface taxes the tty protocol to
achieve color and scroll avoidance.  And in achieving a "pretty" status
top of screen, a web specific interface might avoid the complexity found
in the present code for tty I/O?  Opportunity to simplify comes to mind,
and building it upon the secure interface might provide a second benefit.
> 73
> Bill - WA7NWP
While my "hope" adds work to Maikos backlog [bad(?)], it is also part of
my compliment for adding http interface to augment the existing tty
interface set [good(?)].  Today's AJAX drives JNOS?  Wild.

Years ago, Netscape held the vision of replacing the OS desktop with
browser technology.  Here we are today with a piece of that puzzel...

kudos all.
Skip