[nos-bbs] Problem

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Jan 2 14:32:01 EST 2009

Greetings Skip,

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, George [Skip] VerDuin wrote:

> I need to throw this out to NOS for help.
>
> wa8rsa at HamGate.Ottawa.ampr.org wrote:
>
>  Hi Skip, I keep getting the follow on the jnos screen:
> Clock: inset lead second xx:xx:xx utc
> 4 time ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442Mhz)
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks again for ALL your help.
>
> 73 Dave
>

> I don't recognise the messages Dave gets, but here is what I know:
>  1. The wa8rsa platform is Fedora 10
>  2. The World clock sync daemon ntpd seems to be working - our two clocks are set the same.
>  3. A couple days ago the world clock reset and added (subtracted?) one second.

   There was a "Leap Second" this year at midnight new years.  Dunno if
this accounts for it.  I have heard of many systems around the world that
were running Solaris (and RAS services) and NTP that *rebooted* at
midnight!  DOH!!!  There has even been some flutter on the linux distro
lists about some Linux systems having problems with the Leap Second.

   Hope this helps...

      --- Jay WB8TKL

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|