[nos-bbs] another gotcha

Bob Tenty bobtenty at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 08:56:18 EST 2009

Hi John,

You described it for the new grub2, most likely a new install of Ubuntu 9.10

Below is for those with the old grub.

I upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10  from the shell and it is
still using the old
grub with the familiar /boot/grub/menu.lst file in that case.

With the old familiar grub  no /etc/default/grub file is installed.

I just added  it to the end of  my  existing last line starting  with "kopt"
in the  /boot/grub/menu.lst  file  under ## ## Start Default Options ##

like in my case

# kopt_2_6=root=/dev/mapper/linux-root ro pty.legacy_count=64

(this gives ptyp0 -ptysf/ttyp0-ptysf)

(Above is also valid for Ubuntu 9.04)

No need to  disable SMP if you have only a single core processor in your
computer.
The kernel senses the number of cores and switches SMP off in that case.
This  is recorded in "dmesg" and in the log.

Cheers,

Bob VE3TOK