[nos-bbs] Trace

George [Skip] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Fri Aug 7 17:25:24 EDT 2009

HHMMM Jay...

Jay Nugent wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, George [Skip] VerDuin wrote:
>

>> All previous answers to you are good advice Doug.
>>
>> doug at kalish.com wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a trick to using the trace command?
>>>
>> No matter which avenue you take, please do remember the "flags" field is
>> HEX.
>> So 1110 [decimal] won't get what you want, but 0x1110 [hex] might be
>> what you want.
>> For detail if you want, see:   http://jnoswiki.no-ip.org/jnosd/trace
>> The above is the wiki page for the trace command...
>>

>>> I've tried 'trace port1 1110' and variations but I've never seen any
>>> output.
>>>

>     Close but no cigar.  The TRACE parameters are *not* hex bits.
Do you see anything about "bits" above Jay?  Bits implies BINARY, I've
not seen a binary digit "2" yet that works:-)
How about "digits"?  HEX DIGITS.
>   They
> are simply numeric flags you set for each of 4 fields, enabling you to
> monitor specific types of packets.  This is the "BTIO" field (Broadcast /
> Trace / Input / Output) as described below:
>
>    trace [ interface [ off | BTIO_flags [ trace_file ] ] ]
>
>    B=0:   Display broadcast packets
>    B=1:   Only display packets addressed to this node
>
>    T=0:   Decode protocol headers, but no data displayed
>    T=1:   Decode protocol headers, and display data
>    T=2:   Display decoded headers and entire packet data
>
>    I=0:   Ignore input packets
>    I=1:   Display input packets
>
>    O=0:   Ignore output packets
>    O=1:   Display output packets
>

>    Thus, 0211 means:

Now, "0211" [octal] might work [not tested here] as long as B=0 is desired.
Or, "00211" [octal] might work, just don't drop the leading "0".
Or, "0x0211" [hex] does work here [tested] for sure.  So does "0x211".
Maybe "529" [decimal] would work [not tested] as a substitute for "0x211"?
>    B=0:  Display broadcast packets
>    T=2:  Display decoded headers and entire packet data
>    I=1:  Display input packets
>    O=1:  Display output packets
>
>    Note:  You can omit the leading zero, so 211 means the same as 0211

I'd like to see your use of this Jay.  I have experienced exactly your
recommendation to fail.  Perhaps something has changed and there is a
time-line [some specific revision numbers] for success/failure of
"211"?  That info could well go into the wiki for completeness if you
know the answer.

>    REMEMBER!!! -- Trace output is *ONLY* displayed after you hit the F9
> key.
And the above works when you do NOT specify a [ trace_file ] in the
trace command...