[nos-bbs] Bill's Global AXIP and back to Global MAILBOX again

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Thu Nov 20 11:05:41 EST 2008

Hi Mark and group,

> Isn't this what White Pages was meant to do ?

As far as I understand it - yes, but there was routing involved that
depended on mail headers, etc. I don't know much about WP stuff, there
are some good articles on google if you search for 'WD6CMU whitepages'.

JNOS was originally not a BBS, it was a router more than anything
else. Some people claim that the BBS portion of JNOS was a hack to
make it work with TRUE bbs systems like F6FBB. JNOS does not have
any support for WP databases, although it has code for R: line
headers for routing. F6FBB has a true WP server, as did the
original W0RLI systems back in their day.

> As I see it how will the network know when a new user joins and
> where to get a hold of him.

I want to get away from all that routing. The key thing here is
that we can use the unique nature of the ham radio callsign. It
does not matter where we get hold of him or her anymore. It's
a global thing.

Maiko