[nos-bbs] smtp problem

Brian brian at support.uroweb.net
Tue May 20 01:16:38 EDT 2008

Jay et al;

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 00:31 -0400, Jay Nugent wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Mon, 19 May 2008, Bob Fahnestock wrote:
>
> > What are the common causes of smtp not distributing
> > incoming mail into the various areas.
>
> 1st)   The DOMAIN.TXT file does not contain your own nodes identity.  If
>        it can't resolve itself, it can't deliver email to itself.  So make sure it
>        can find itself:
>
>           domain look your_host.ampr.org
>
>        This should return the line containing your hostname with your IP
>        address.
>

> 2nd)   An improperly configured REWRITE file.  Try testing with no rewrite
>        file at all.  This should drop locally created emails into their
>        own local mail spools without interferance.
>        If things work without a rewrite file, where they didn't work WITH
>        one... then you have your culprit.
>

>    Let us know what you did to resolve the problem.  That way everyone
> learns from your experience :)

Whois from ampr.org shows the primary DNS server as:
Name Server:MUNNARI.OZ.AU

however
n1uro at thinkpadr40:~$ nslookup
> server MUNNARI.OZ.AU
Default server: MUNNARI.OZ.AU
Address: 202.12.74.196#53
> 44.44.1.1
> wmass.ampr.org

From the zone files:
                        NS      ns.nonanet.net.uk.
                        NS      ns1.dns-servers.us.
                        NS      munnari.OZ.AU.
                        NS      hamradio.ucsd.edu.

I wrote to Brian Kantor last week about this but either he's been tied
up or my mail is trapped in his spam folder destined for the permanent
cyber circular bucket... which I think the latter took place.