[nos-bbs] B2F (compression) success !!!

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Sat Mar 29 11:30:57 EDT 2008

Oh goody, Barry has entered the fray :)

> But my question is:  WHY must hams constantly invent new protocols
> or applications when an existing protocol or application will do
> the job that you want to have done ?

Playing the devil's advocate (no wait, not the devil, that's a bit
harsh). Perhaps looking at it from a more modern view - The WinLink
stuff has a nice user friendy windows framework, supports alot of HF
modems that NOS does not, and seems to have a good infrastructure of
people and resources to back it up. I'm starting to figure out that
the world we live in could care less about what goes on in the back
ground (kinda like automated banking machine networks).

As long as the front end looks goods, and does a reasonably good
job, then it's what people will want, which I'm sure it does ...

Hope I haven't made you choke :) I still like my NOS, but that's cause
I like to be in control of my code, it lets me experiment, try out new
things without having to depend on a 3rd party.

BUT be warned - my stuff is experimental, requires ALOT of attended
operation, is not meant to be left alone because it is likely not
reliable enough yet to be left alone, and so on ...

> I was still alive.  :)

Was ? Nice to hear from you Barry.

Maiko